Join a team of park-loving people for weekend ‘work-togethers’ in the great outdoors of Great Smoky Mountains National Park! Individuals and groups are invited to sign up for unique volunteer opportunities to help maintain and improve operations at campgrounds, historic structures, and other natural / cultural resources. Each Smokies Service Day activity offers group- enrichment geared to deepen our experience of the natural world.
This volunteer program helps complete much needed work across the park and is ideal for families, visitors, scout troops, civic organizations, nature lovers of all kinds, working adults with busy schedules, and those seeking to fulfill community service requirements, including high school and college students. Each project will provide tasks appropriate for a wide range of ages, though some may have restrictions. Depending on the project, Smokies Service Days last for 3 to 4 hours on Saturday mornings. Please consult the schedule below.
Tools and safety gear, including gloves and high visibility safety vests, will be provided by park staff. Participants are required to wear closed-toe shoes and other Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as directed by the Project Coordinator (safety goggles will be provided when necessary). Volunteers bring their own water and bagged lunches.
Register by Email: firstname.lastname@example.org In subject line, enter ‘SSD Registration’. Indicate the Date and Name of Activity you wish to register for. Include the number in your group and the age of each volunteer. Your participation will be confirmed via email.
2021 Project Schedule
- Green Thumb Gardening, Oct. 16 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Oconaluftee Visitor Center; limited to 10 participants, ages 12+
- Campground Clean-up, Oct. 23 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Smokemont Campground; limited to 12 participants, ages 10+
- “The Deep Cree” costumed clean-up, Oct. 30 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Deep Creek Picnic Area; limited to 25 participants, all ages welcome
- Fire Safety in Daisy Town, Nov. 6 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Elkmont (Tenn.); limited to 15 participants, ages 15+
- English Ivy Pull vegetation management, Nov 13 from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; limited to 20 participants, ages 16+
- Park and Partners Steep Slope clean-up, Nov. 20 from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; limited to 18 participants, ages 13+
- National Park Service release