By SCOTT MCKIE B.P.
ONE FEATHER STAFF
There’s the old saying that “Champions are made in the offseason”. Well, for high school and college athletes, the offseason is definitely during the summer.
Boxing legend Muhammad Ali once said, “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.’”
Some look at summer as a time to sleep in late, eat hot dogs and other junk food, and generally just take it easy. But, working hard during the summer can have huge rewards in the fall, winter and spring for athletes.
Not only is the summertime an excellent time to train. It can also be a great time to work out the kinks in your game through a summer camp.
Basketball players might want to check out the 1st Annual Tahnee Arkansas Basketball Skills Camp set for June 1-2 at Cherokee High School. The camp will be broken into three age groups (3-6, 7-9, and 10-12) with the first 20 kids in each age group being accepted. Early registration for the camp has passed and late registration ($35) ends on Friday, May 22. All who attend the camp will receive a t-shirt, and all proceeds will go directly to the Tahnee Arkansas Memorial Children’s Fund. Follow this link for an online registration form for the camp: https://fs22.formsite.com/Tahneescamp1/form1/index.html.
Western Carolina University is hosting a number of sports camps this summer including the following:
- Men’s Basketball. June 17-19 at the WCU Ramsey Center. Grades: 3-12. Cost: $225. Info: Stephen McDonald (828) 227-2562, email@example.com
- Catamount Football Skills Camp. June 19-20. Grades: rising 9-12. Cost: $160 for day camper, $200 for overnight camper. Info: (828) 227-2037, or firstname.lastname@example.org
- One Day Elite Football Camp. June 14. Grades: rising 9-12. Cost: $75 pre-registered and $100 day of registration. Info: (828) 227-2037, or email@example.com
- Catamount Volleyball Elite Skills Camp. July 27-29 at WCU Ramsey Center. Grades: rising 7-12. Cost: $300 resident, $250 commuter. Info: Travis Nead (828) 227-2390, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Catamount Volleyball All Skills Camp. July 30-31 at WCU Ramsey Center. Grades: rising 6-12. Cost: $40 per session, there are four sessions total. Info: Travis Nead (828) 227-2390, email@example.com
As more summer sports camps become known, the One Feather will post them. Have fun this summer, but don’t forget that it is an excellent chance to get ahead for this upcoming season.
Sporting must-sees for May 22-24
There’s a lot going on this weekend including the opening round of the French Open, NCAA lacrosse playoffs, NBA playoffs, but the one must-see occurs on Friday, May 22 at 9pm on ESPN2 – the World Arm Wrestling League Championships. Just awesome!