By SCOTT MCKIE B.P.
ONE FEATHER STAFF
The EBCI Division of Commerce is hosting the annual Rainbow and Ramps event on Saturday, March 28 at the Cherokee Indian Fairgrounds from 10am – 2pm. The event will feature rainbow trout and ramp meals for sale (free to EBCI tribal elders), music, bingo, dancing, a horseshoe tournament and more.
“Our annual Rainbow and Ramps celebration is one of my favorite events of the year,” said Tonya Carroll, EBCI Destination Marketing manager. “Attendees can expect great performances from The Ross Brothers and Terry Woody, J. Creek Cloggers and the Warriors of AniKituhwa. The food, catered by Granny’s Kitchen, will feature some local favorites including rainbow trout and locally gathered ramps. There is no better way to start off our special events season.”
Meals are $10 and include fried trout, ramps and other vegetables.
The horseshoe tournament, open to all ages, will start at 10am. The entry fee is $30 per team, and registrations are being taken at the Cherokee Welcome Center (across from the Fairgrounds) until Friday, March 27 at 4:30pm. Teams should plan to be at the site no later than 9:45am on Saturday, March 28. The first place team will receive 60 percent of the total entry fees and second place will receive the remaining 40 percent. Teams should bring their own horseshoes to throw.
Following is the schedule (subject to change) for the Rainbow and Ramps event:
- 10am: Horseshoe tournament starts
- 10:30am: Doors open, invocation, posting of colors by Steve Youngdeer American Legion Post 143, opening remarks by the EBCI Executive Office
- 10:45am: Local entertainment
- 11:15am: Blessing and lunch for elders
- 11:20am: Lunch music by the Ross Brothers
- 12pm: Meals go on sale, J Creek Cloggers
- 12:30pm: Performance by Warriors of Anikituwah
- 1pm: Bingo (four games)
- 2pm: Close