Procedure for Exempt Status: Vehicle and Property Taxes

by Jan 14, 2014Happenings0 comments

In cases where enrolled members of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians who live on the reservation (Qualla Boundary) receive billing notices from the County Tax Office stating they owe property and/or vehicle tax, you must present to the County Tax Office the following information:

  1. A copy of the billing notice/invoice;
  2. Valid identification;
  3. Your EBCI enrollment card; and
  4. An official letter from the 911 Office (Emergency Management 554-6433 or 554-6434) confirming your official address.

Once the Tax Office receives this information, you will be given tax exempt status which will be noted in the County Tax Office database.  Once your tax exempt status is noted in that database, you should not receive additional tax notices.  If you have additional questions, contact your local County Tax Office.

– EBCI Legal Division