Sunday, May 13 – Mother’s Day
Tuesday, May 15 – Health Screen – 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. (New Date and Time)
Wednesday, May 16 – Board Meeting – 8:30 a.m.
Thursday, May 17 – Safety Committee Meeting – 11:30 a.m.
Tuesday, May 22 – Cherokee Central Schools Graduation
Tuesday, May 22 – School Early Release – 11:45 a.m.
Wednesday, May 23 – School Early Release – 11:45 a.m. (Last Day of School)
Thursday, May 24 – Teacher Workday
Friday, May 25 – School Furlough Day
The Boys Club wants to wish every mother and grandmother a Happy Mother’s Day this Sunday.
CHEROKEE BOYS CLUB CELEBRATES
- In 2012, the Club celebrates its 80-year anniversary, and also celebrates being incorporated by the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians for 48 years as of May 4 this month.
- In 1932, the Cherokee Boys Farm Club was founded at the Cherokee Boarding School.
- In 1934, the Cherokee Motor Club was founded.
- On May 4, 1964, the Cherokee Boys Club was incorporated by the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians and moved to its current location.
- In 1969, the Cherokee Children’s Home was established.
- In 1982, the Club celebrated its 50-year anniversary.
- In 2007, the Club celebrated its 75-year anniversary.
FAMILY SUPPORT SERVICES’ OFFICE HAS RELCOATED
The Family Support Services office has moved to the Boys Club’s main campus. The new offices are located at 134 Cherokee Boys Club Loop (the former General Manager’s residence) which is directly across from the Club’s Garage. The office on 508 Goose Creek Road is closed. The phone number for Family Support will remain the same at (828) 497-6092.
WEEK OF THE YOUNG CHILD
The Cherokee Children’s Coalition sends out a big thank you to everyone who came out on Saturday to participate in the Week of the Young Child.
THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and family of Johnny Crowe who lost his sister Marilyn Jessie Crowe Vanegas on May 3. Johnny works in the Club’s Shop and Bus Departments. Several members of the Crowe family have been employed at the Boys Club over the years and our hearts are with them all at this time.
DOT/BOYS CLUB NEIGHBORS
The Cherokee DOT and Boys Club are new neighbors since DOT and Transit moved into their new facility recently. We want to take a moment to welcome them to the neighborhood and to remind everyone of the increased amount of traffic to Acquoni Road. Please be cautious and courteous when entering and exiting onto Acquoni Road and at all times.
Please note that the Children’s Home has installed new speed bumps on Children’s Home Road. Please keep this in mind for the safety of everyone, especially the children who play there!