The Cherokee One Feather garnered a total of nine awards in the North Carolina Press Association’s 2016 News, Editorial & Photojournalism Contest and 2016 Best Ad Contest. The awards were given for work between Oct. 1, 2015 and Sept. 30, 2016. For the first time, the paper placed third in the Community Coverage (Division A) category. This award was shared by Robert Jumper, editor; Scott McKie Brings Plenty, reporter; and Amble Smoker, former ad sales representative.
Robert also won in the following categories:
- 3rd Place – Best Use of Color in Ad, judge’s comments included, “Hard to resist an ad that uses the old school tie-dye look and the word ‘groov-a-licious’. The students look so formal, and then you are jolted with the ad.”
Scott also won in the following categories:
- 2nd Place – Best Color Institutional Ad
- 2nd Place – News Feature Writing, “Seeking Hope” on Snowbird Recovery Center, judge’s comments included, “Excellent use of heartfelt quotes from Native American leaders who want to make a difference in helping curb addiction.”
- 2nd Place – Feature Writing for “Weaving Words” on Beloved Woman Myrtle Driver’s translation of children’s classic “Charlotte’s Web”, judge’s comments included, “The writer shares a moving story about the journey of translation to bring the Cherokee language to children’s literature. A short piece that paints a clear picture.”
- 2nd Place – Sports Columns for “On the Sidelines” column
- 2nd Place – Appearance & Design for layout of Cherokee One Feather, judge’s comments included, “Nice use of typography, well-balanced pages”
- 3rd Place – Arts & Entertainment Reporting for “Wilson’s photos featured in Fayetteville exhibit”, judge’s comments included, “Very well-written piece…one-interview stories can sometimes be difficult to keep dynamic, but this fit together very well. Well done.”
- 3rd Place – Headline Writing
The One Feather joined the N.C. Press Association in 2009 and has garnered awards in each year since. This was Robert’s third award and Scott’s 36th.
– One Feather staff report