ONE FEATHER STAFF REPORT
The Cherokee One Feather has received a total of seven awards in the North Carolina Press Association’s 2015 News, Editorial & Photojournalism Contest and 2015 Best Ad Contest. Editor Robert Jumper, Report Scott McKie Brings Plenty, and Ad Sales Representative Amble Smoker won awards in various categories from election reporting to ad design.
Robert won the following award:
- Third Place, Election/Political Reporting, “Meet the Candidates”, judge’s comments included, “This was perfectly paced, something important for a type of story that can sometimes stray towards formulaic. Above all, this was fair to all the candidates.”
Amble won the following awards:
- Second Place, Sports Feature Photo, “The River is Calling”; judge’s comments included, “I really like the movement in this image. With the way the paddle pushes the way, you did a good job capturing the moment.”
- Third Place, Best Color Institutional Ad, “Cherokee Idol”
- Third Place, Best Small Ad, Cherokee Animal Control
Scott won the following awards:
- First Place, Sports Columns, “On the Sidelines” weekly column
- First Place, General Excellence for Websites, theonefeather.com
- First Place, Best Color Institutional Ad, “Battle of the Nations”, judge’s comments included, “Great ad, unique color”
The One Feather joined the N.C. Press Association in 2009 and has garnered awards in each year since. This was Robert’s first award, Amble’s eighth and Scott’s 28th.