Cherokee Senior Citizens Program will begin taking fuel application on Monday, Sept 16. If you heat with electric, please bring your power bill.
Senior Citizens Fuel Assistance Guidelines
- Must be 59½
- Must be an enrolled member of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians.
- Must live in the five (5) counties service area: Swain, Jackson, Cherokee, Graham and Haywood.
- The residence where the fuel is to be delivered must be the primary residence of the senior citizen.
- Only (1) one service per residence.
- Only (1) one type of fuel residence.
- All seniors must reapply every year.
- Must apply for the primary heat source only.
- Applications will start being taken on September . A notice will be put in the local paper.
- Heating season is from Oct. 1 to May 31.
- Gas must be the primary heating source to receive a gas tank purchase.
- A onetime purchase of a 320 gallon tank or purchase of the tank that is currently being used at the residence.
- Only one gas tank per household. If clients already owns a tank purchased with tribal funds such as, HIP Program, Senior Citizens Program, Qualla Housing or any other program they will not receive another.
- If a gas tank is purchased then the primary heat cannot be changed for (5) five years.
- The client assumes all responsibility for the tank.
- All accounts must have a zero balance before any new funding will be applied for the new heating season.
- It is the client’s responsibility to pay for any fuel that is delivered over the approved budgeted amount.