Friday, Sept. 14 – School Early Release – Staff Development
Wednesday, Sept. 12 – Resolution Deadline – 8:30 a.m.
Tuesday, Sept. 18 – Health Screen – 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
Wednesday, Sept. 19 – Board of Directors Meeting – 8:30 a.m. (Current Board Members)
Thursday, Sept. 20 – Safety Committee Meeting – 11:30 a.m.
Monday, Sept. 24 – School Furlough Day
Wednesday, Sept. 26 – School Early Release – Sacred Path
STUDENT BOARD REPRESENTATIVE ELECTED
The election for the Student Representative for the Boys Club Board of Directors was held on Thursday, Aug. 30 at the High School. Nominees for the Student Representative were taken from students who participated in the Club’s summer On-the-Job training program or students who have participated in the vocational classes that the school offers (Automotive Technology and Graphics).
The students eligible for nomination could not be a senior because they have to serve the two-year Board term before they graduate. The five nominees were Constance Cline, Fernando Garcia, Austin Padilla, Jesse Toineeta and Cole Wildcatt. Cole Wildcatt received the most votes and will represent the school on the Boys Club Board.
The newly elected Board members met on September 4 to select two outside business people to serve on the Board and to elect officers for this term. Council appoints a representative (currently Perry Shell) bringing the total number of board members to nine.
The new Board for the 2012-2014 term will be installed on Monday, Oct.1. The current board will continue to serve until Sept. 30, 2014.
IT’S A GIRL!
Congratulations to Holly Jackson and Jakeli Swimmer on the birth of their daughter, Natalie Arie Swimmer, who was born on Monday, Aug. 27 at 5:30 a.m. Natalie was 19 ½ inches long at birth and weighed in at 8 lbs. 9 oz. Natalie is the granddaughter of Cindi and Fred Squirrel and Maureen and Clarence Jackson, Jr. Cindi Squirrel works in the Club’s Construction/HIP Office.
SCHOOL BUS SAFETY TIPS
- Leave plenty of time to get to the bus stop. When you rush, you may not follow safety rules.
- Walk on sidewalks when available.
- Remain alert at all times; don’t listen to your MP3 players, text, talk on your cell phones or play video games because you won’t be aware of what is happening around you.
- Be careful when wearing your hood up; it makes it difficult for you to see.
- When you wait for the bus, stay away from the road. Don’t play around so you will be aware of traffic.
- Make sure the bus driver can see you at all times.
- Wait for the bus to stop completely before you approach it to get on or before you stand up to get off.
- Clothes or back packs should not have draw strings, toggles or key chains. They can get caught on bus handrails and doors.
- Hold the handrails so you don’t trip on the stairs.
10. Find a seat and sit down immediately.
11. Know your bus driver’s name and bus number to be sure you are boarding the right bus.
12. Be courteous and respectful to your driver.
13. Talk and laugh quietly with friends, but do not scream; it will distract the driver.
14. Do not put your head, arms, papers or anything out of the windows.
15. If you drop something near the bus, don’t pick it up. The driver may not see you. Instead, ask the driver for help.
16. If you have to cross the road, wait until the driver lets you know it is okay.
17. Stay away from the bus wheels at all times – especially the back wheels where it is hard for the bus driver to see you.