By MAJ. BILL UNDERWOOD
The following awards were presented on Thursday night, March 22 at the Cherokee High School JROTC Military Ball.
1. Superior Cadet Decoration – Presented by Ray Kinsland: LET I – Cadet CPL Christina Owle, and Cadet PFC Dalton Ledford , LET II – Cadet SSG Destini Paugh, LET III – Cadet CPT Tasia Brady, LET IV- Cadet MAJ Rhiannon Hull, Cadet MAJ Letitia Driver
2. Sons of the American Revolution Award – Presented by Sam Lambert: Cadet SGM Nic Bushyhead
3. Military Order of World Wars – Presented by Jason Ormsby: Cadet PFC Ryan Walkingstick
4. Daughters of the American Revolution – Carmen Jessup: Cadet 1st LT Sabrina Wooten
5. The American Legion Award – Cmdr Lewis Harding (Cmdr American Legion Post 143) Cadet 1st LT Taylor Johnson
6. The Veterans of Foreign Wars – District Commander of the VFW Skip Hall & Local VFW 8013 Frank Cucumber: Cadet PFC Dillon (Hawk) Wooten
7. The National Sojourners Award – Ray Kinsland: Cadet SSG Sherman (Dakota) Goldsmith
8. The Military Officers Association Medal – LTC(R) Kyna Swayney: Cadet 2nd LT. Crystal Waldroup
9. The Reserve Officers Award – Cmdr Lewis Harding: Cadet 2nd LT Leo Pete
10. Association of the United States Army – Jason Ormsby: Cadet PFC Jared Panther
11. Enlisted Association Award – Warren Dupree: Cadet PFC Dalton Ledford
12. The American Veterans Association Award – AMVETS Cmdr Keith Dean
Cadet CPL Tiffany (Kaitlyn) Johnson
13. Military Order of The Purple Heart – Rueben Taylor: Cadet SSG Damon Taylor
14. The Top Gun Award – SFC Clifford Long: 1st Semester, Cadet MAJ Letitia Driver scored 228 and
2nd Semester Cadet PFC Christian Driver scored 213
The Promotions: PFC Dalton Ledford, PFC Ryan Walkingstick, to Corporal. Corporal Jared Panther, to Sergeant. LTC Felicia Owle to Colonel
The Commander’s Award / Saber – Battalion Commander COL Felicia Owle who was then promoted to Regimental Commander.
“She has done an awesome job,” said Maj. Underwood. “Thank you for a job well done. Her XO and Staff, preformed amazing in the Formal Inspection. For the past six years, we have been at Merit Unit Award status.
“For the next three years, we will have the distinction of Honor Unit Award. Our new Battalion Commander is Cadet MAJ Letitia Driver and our new Battalion Executive Officer: Cadet Captain Taz Brady.”
This year’s King and Queen were presented their honors by previous Battalion Commander Rhiannon Hull. The King of 2012 is Sherman Dakota Goldsmith and the Queen is Taz Brady. They danced the first dance of the evening.
Maj. Underwood commented, “Thank you to all who made this year’s Military Ball a huge success with special thanks to The Sound of Music and Harvey and David’s Catering.”