Looking for something creative to do? Southwestern Community College’s Fine Arts Program at the Oconaluftee Institute for Cultural Arts will be offering three evening art classes for the month of March. Each class is open to any skill level, from novice to advanced. For more information on these classes or to register, please contact Jeff Marley at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (828) 497-3945.
- Mar. 19 – Apr. 9, 2012, M, 6:00-8:30 PM. Instructor: Frank Brannon. Cost: $62
- Learn the basics of printmaking and print small posters, business cards and note cards by hand. Participants will learn how to use the printing press in sessions one and two, and session three will focus on printing in the Cherokee writing system. The fourth session will introduce photo-polymer plates, an easy form of illustration for books and posters. The duration is 4 sessions. Minimum of 4 students for the class to be held.
- Mar. 22 – Apr. 5, 2012, TTH, 6:00-8:30 PM. Instructor: Michael Polomik Cost: $50
- Participants will gain knowledge of using color and application methods using oil paint to paint the human figure. The goals of this course are to challenge the student in creating complex illusions of space, light, and texture. Participants should provide their own materials, which include a basic paint set, selection of brushes, mediums (linseed oil and mineral spirits or turpentine), and a surface to paint on (stretched canvas, or board). These materials are all available at the local mega-mart or hardware store. Students are encouraged to bring their own photograph to paint from, however, pictures will be provided by the instructor. The duration is 3 sessions. Minimum of 4 students for the class to be held.
- Mar. 22,2012, TH, 6:00-9:00 PM. Instructor: Phyllis Jarvinen. Cost: $30
- Students will make paste paper for use in book binding projects. You can use heavy weight handmade papers or other large sheets of paper. The wheat paste used to cover the paper can be colored with acrylic paint and marked for a variety of effects. It is similar to finger painting – lots of fun and usually messy! Materials: your paper, wheat pastry flour, tools for making a variety of marks in the wet paste, various colors of acrylic paints. The duration of this class is one session. Minimum of 4 students for the class to be held.
Southwestern Community College offers an Associate of Fine Arts degree program at The Oconaluftee Institute for Cultural Arts. The Oconaluftee Institute for Cultural Arts is located on Highway 19 North, behind Tribal Bingo at 70 Bingo Loop in Cherokee, NC. For more information about the Oconaluftee Institute of Cultural Arts, Southwestern Community College and the Associate in Fine Arts program, please call 828.497.3945; or on the web at southwesterncc.edu/finearts/