The Cherokee Lifestyle Balance provides families a fun way to learn how to eat healthy, manage stress & increase physical activity for a lifetime.
The Cherokee Lifestyle Balance program is based on the national Diabetes Prevention Program, proven to decrease the risk of type 2 diabetes by 58%. The program was modified with emphasis on Cherokee culture and fun interactive learning.
FREE group classes weekly, Tuesday 4-5:30pm for 10 weeks starting March 6 in the GLW Complex Community Rooms *Tribal Employees receive 45 minutes of admin leave pending supervisor’s approval. Kids can come directly after school for a kid’s workout!
Classes include a free healthy supper, physical activity, interactive learning on nutrition, fitness, and stress management, and craft.
Pre and post blood work with individualized health assessment, education & plan that fits your needs for healthy living.
Each family will have a Lifestyle Coach to offer support on their journey towards a healthy lifestyle.
- Family with a child age 9 or older
- One family member which is overweight (kids at 85th percentile) and has 2 or more risk factors for Type 2 diabetes or that is obese (kids at 95th percentile) and has 1 or more risk factors. Risk factors for Type 2 Diabetes includes:
- Cherokee or other minority race or ethnicity
- First degree relative with diabetes
- Diagnosis of high blood pressure pre-diabetes, type 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes, or polycystic ovarian syndrome
- High triglycerides or low HDL cholesterol
- Acanthosis Nigricans (dark thickening of skin often seen on back of neck but can occur on any part of body)
- Child and one family member must be committed to attending a minimum of 8 out of 10 classes.
Space is limited. Families with the greatest health need will have first priority. This is sponsored by Cherokee Choices.
Info: Robin Callahan, RD, LDN, MHS 497-1975, firstname.lastname@example.org
– Cherokee Choices