For more information or to register for any of these classes at the Oconaluftee Institute of Cultural Arts (OICA) or Southwestern Community College (SCC), contact Jeff Marley 497-3945 or j_marley@southwesterncc,edu.
- Intro to Printmaking: In this two and a half hour class, students will get an overview of letterpress printing. Frank Brannon, printmaking instructor for the Oconaluftee Institute for Cultural Arts will demonstrate basic printmaking methods from setting type and inking the press to the actual operation of the press. Participants will have an opportunity to print note cards in the Cherokee Syllabary. This class will be held in the printmaking studio at the Oconaluftee Institute for Cultural Arts in Cherokee, NC. Cost is $20 per person.
- Oct. 10, 6-8:30 PM at OICA in Cherokee
- Nov. 14, 6-8:30 PM at OICA in Cherokee
- Intro to Book Arts: Unlock your inner artist through following or altering traditional forms of bookmaking. Learn how to make a simple bound and folded book. Mat board, paper and paste will be provided to create a basic structure. Students can bring cutouts from magazines or old books, snippets of ribbon, old letters, buttons or findings from nature such as feathers or pressed flowers. Taught by Kathrine Cays. Cost is $18 per person and includes materials.
- Oct. 12, 6-9 PM at SCC Macon Campus
- Oct. 18, 6-9 PM at SCC Swain Center
- Oct. 19, 6-9 PM at OICA in Cherokee
- Intro to Leather Work: Learn the art of handmade leather craft! Students will familiarize themselves with the basic leather working tools such as punches, punch board, mallets, and lacing needles and create a change pouch. Leather and lace will be provided. Taught by Kathrine Cays. Cost is $22 per person and includes materials.
- Oct. 11, 6-9 PM at SCC Macon Campus
- Oct. 13, 6-9 PM at SCC Swain Center
- Oct. 20, 6-9 PM at OICA in Cherokee
- Ceramics – Advanced Firing Techniques; Raku: Producing items for raku firing, developing raku glazes, applying raku glazes, building a raku kiln, firing, and safety will be the focus of this course. Prerequisites: Completion of Intermediate Wheel or special permission from instructor. Taught by Joe Frank McKee, cost is $120, materials not included.
- Nov. 8 trough Dec. 13, 5-10 PM at SCC Swain Center
- Ceramics – Liquid Clay: Students will learn the use and application of several liquid clays including terra sigillata, slips and engobes, mocha diffusions, casting slips, Egyptian paste, naturally colored clays, neriage and nerikomi. At the conclusion of the course students will have produced a body of work that demonstrates mastery of the use of a variety of liquid clays as decorations to the ceramic surface. Prerequisites: Completion of Intermediate Wheel or special permission from instructor. Taught by Elsie Delfield, cost is $65, materials not included.
- Nov. 17 trough Dec. 15, 6-9 PM at SCC Swain Center
– Jeff Marley, SCC