The Cherokee One Feather’s website, theonefeather.com, took first place in the General Excellence for Websites category (Division A) at the North Carolina Press Association (NCPA) Editorial and Advertising Awards banquet held recently in Raleigh. Since the One Feather joined NCPA in 2009, the paper’s website has won General Excellence Awards seven times including previous first place awards in 2012 and 2015.
The paper also took second place in General Excellence for Newspapers (Division A), a category that looks at all aspects of a paper including writing, photography, paper layout, website, etc., as well as first place in the Use of Photographs category which covers overall photography in the paper.
In all, the One Feather won 14 awards which cover the contest period of October 2017 to September 2018.
Robert Jumper, editor, won the following individual awards:
- Best Use of Humor in an Ad, first place
Scott McKie Brings Plenty, reporter, won the following individual awards:
- Best Home Furnishings/Appliances Ad, second place
- Best Newspaper Promotion Ad (graduation ad), first place
- Best Institutional Ad (Asheville Tourists), third place
- Appearance and Design of paper, third place
- Headline Writing, first place
- Photo Page or Essay (Cherokee Indian Pow Wow), first place
- Sports Photography (Tye Mintz run against Mitchell), third place
- Sports Coverage overall, second place
- Sports Feature Photo (Cherokee Skate Jam), first place
- Sports Feature Photo (stickball photos), third place
– One Feather staff report