LETTER: Asbestos in our homes

by Dec 3, 2017OPINIONS0 comments


Did someone in your family die from cancer? Do you have breathing or lung problems?

These health issues and more can come from exposure to asbestos. Remodeling my house, I asked for a dumpster which was denied because of the possibility of asbestos in my home that was built in the 70’s. Many houses on our reservation still have asbestos in it.

A short investigation has shown a major concern on the wellbeing of the people on the Cherokee reservation. People living in Cherokee housing may be exposed to highly toxic materials and want to have it removed. Everybody who wants the asbestos removed from their home is invited to come to the meeting on Wednesday, Dec. 6 at 6pm at the Yellowhill Community Building next to the basketball court on Acquoni Road. Expected to attend are members form the hospital staff, the Health Department, Qualla Housing, the Executive Office, council members, people living under these conditions, and people who have lost loved ones due to these conditions.

The purpose of this meeting is to bring attention to this ongoing issue that causes many health problems and deaths. When we unify our efforts, we can formulate a plan to remove this health hazard from our homes, for the wellness of our children and grandchildren.

You can also contact me personally for more information.

General B. Grant