The EBCI Garden Judging will begin Monday, June 19. You must register between May 22 and June 9 to be eligible for competition. Come by the EBCI Cooperative Extension Office at 876 Acquoni Rd or call 359-6939.
Judging will be done as follows:
June 19 – Wolfetown, Big Y, Birdtown and 3200 Acre Tract
June 20 – Big Cove, Towstring, Yellowhill, and Painttown
June 21 – Cherokee County and Snowbird
Youth Gardeners (up to age 18) and Community Gardens judging dates will depend on the number of entries. *Most likely done along with the main judging dates.
Please provide clear driving directions to the garden. Other questions: age of the gardener and if the garden is organic or conventional.
A team from the EBCI Cooperative Extension office will bring judges to visit the gardens. Judges are Master Gardeners from surrounding counties. They will score the gardens in the following areas:
- General appearance
- Planning for Season-long food production
- Evidence of exceptional gardening practices such as soil preparation
- Plant selection
- Pest control and season-extending techniques
- Creativity such as creative design, unique plants or other features.
Winners will be announced at the EBCI Cooperative Extension’s Community Awards Program in September.
– Ronald “Chumper” Walker, EBCI Cooperative Extension director