How to get a Cherokee Youth Work Permit

by Apr 26, 2014Happenings0 comments

To all youth and their parents and guardians:

Are you  14 to 17 years old?  Are you planning to get a job this summer?

Now you can get a Cherokee Youth Work Permit for your summer job!

Here’s how it works:

ALL youth 14-17 years old MUST complete a Cherokee Youth Work Permit to get a paying summer or part-time job on the Qualla Boundary—for any employer, including private employers, Tribal programs, or family businesses/ family members.

First, get a firm job offer from your employer.

Next, access the form at the Public Health and Human Services website , print it out, and complete it with your parent or guardian.  If you don’t have access to a computer, you can get a copy at PHHS Administration at 43 John Crowe Hill, next to the Preservation Foundation.

Take it to your employer and have them complete their section and sign and date on the Employer’s Signature line.  Note that there are some job activities that youth 14-17 MAY NOT DO.  These are listed on the back of the form.  Make sure your employer looks at these and does not include any of them in your job responsibilities.

Then bring the form to the front desk at Public Health and Human Services, 43 John Crowe Hill, with identification for you and your parent or guardian.  DON’T sign the form before you come—we have to see you sign.  Be sure to bring ID that has your photo and your birth date.  Bring one or more of the following:

  • Tribal Enrollment Card
  • Birth certificate
  • Social Security card
  • Learner’s permit or driver’s license
  • Passport
  • School identification card

Your parent or guardian can bring their Tribal Enrollment Card, driver’s license, or other picture ID.  We’ll sign your form and return it to you to give to your employer.  It is their responsibility to keep it on file.

So WORK HARD and HAVE FUN this summer!

If you have any questions or need help with your permit, please call Public Health and Human Services at 554-6180.

– EBCI Public Health and Human Services