Assistance available for local farmers

by Aug 5, 2011NEWS ka-no-he-da0 comments

     Severe storms and a tornado have caused severe damage in Swain and Jackson Counties. Farms and ranches suffering severe damage may be eligible for assistance under the Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) administered by the Swain/Jackson Farm Service Agency if the damage will be so costly to rehabilitate that Federal assistance is or will be needed to return the land to productive agricultural use.

     A producer qualifying for ECP assistance may receive cost-share levels not to exceed 75 percent of the eligible cost of restoration measures. The following types of measures may be eligible: removing debris from farmland; grading, shaping, or re-leveling severely damaged farmland; restoring permanent fences; and restoring conservation structures and other similar installations.  Producers who have suffered a loss from a natural disaster may contact the local FSA Office and request assistance from Aug. 15 thru COB Sept. 6.

     Info: 488-2684 or 586-6193 ext.2 or visit the office at 50 Main St. Federal Bldg. room 220, Bryson City for assistance.

– Farm Service Agency