• STRATEGIC PLANNING: The Governing Board and the Executive Staff of Cherokee Indian Hospital, met on Saturday, February 26 at Harrah’s Cherokee Casino to do Strategic Planning for 2011. The Board reviewed hospital mission, vision, and values and planned new benchmarks for the coming year.
• CHEROKEE LANGUAGE CLASSES: Lunch and Learn: Cherokee Language Classes are offered to staff members beginning March 8 through March 16. These are basic language classes taught by Eddie Swimmer. This class is made possible by a grant from the Cherokee Preservation Foundation.
• GREEN HOSPITAL COMMITTEE: The Green Hospital Committee is gearing up for spring by sponsoring 4 raised bed gardens to interested hospital departments. The Green Committee plans to visit Bon Seqours Hospital in Greenville, SC. Bon Seqours has a excellent green plan for their hospital and are very excited to share with us. With maintenance assistance, we are installing 10 motion sensor light systems in rooms as a test project. Lights turn on when staff enters the room and turn off if no motion is detected. The committee is making plans for Earth Day and getting ready for their planter adoption program.
• FOUNDATION BOARD TRAINING: The Hospital Foundation Board attended training on Wednesday, March 2 at Cherokee Indian Hospital. Mark Wilkison presented training, from Sinclair, Townes and Company out of Atlanta. The board learned about the Best Practices of Fundraising, lessons learned with over 30 years of experience.
• NUTRITION MONTH: March is National Nutrition Month. Nilofer Couture and Linda Johnson, Dieticians at Cherokee Indian Hospital have several activities planned at the hospital to create a greater awareness of “color” and nutrition.
• DEPLOYED: Dr. Robert Ross, who is in the Army National Guard, is being deployed to Iraq in May of this year.
• HEATHY RECIPE CONTEST WINNERS: Cherokee Indian Hospital’s Nutrition department sponsored a Healthy Recipe Contest last week. The judges included Jennifer Brown, Frank Reed, Amber Morris-Hill and Mat Berry! The food was great which made the judges job very difficult. First Place went to Amanda Ledford for her Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken Salad. Second place went to Rege McCauley for her Kale Fruit and Nut Salad and Third Place to Doris Bonilla for her Fruit Trufle. Participants donated $125.00 to the Eller family.
– Cherokee Indian Hospital