SUBMITTED By EBCI ENROLLMENT OFFICE
Tribal Membership Amendments
Ordinance No. 277 was amended by Tribal Council and ratified on June 8, 2010.
This resolution adds the following amendments to the requirements for membership with the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians :
• The enrollment is currently open to newborns to three years of age and 18 to 19 year olds (until the Audit process is complete)
• DNA Testing is required of all applicants, including adoptees
DNA Information for Enrollment Purposes
• DNA Testing will be scheduled each Tuesday through August 10th, 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Call Melanie Lambert, Tribal Enrollment Office at 828-497-8109 to make an appointment.
• Beginning August 20th and each Friday thereafter, appointment times will be scheduled between 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Contact Melanie Lambert.
• Collection Site – Enrollment Office, 808 Acquoni Road, Ginger Lynn Welch Complex, Cherokee, NC 28719
• Cost – $195 per family unit (Child & 1 or both parents) $65 per additional child
• Special Testing – Testing of Adult child (18+) and parent increases to $140 per person.
• Forms of acceptable Identification – Tribal Enrollment Photo ID, Drivers License, State issued photo ID
• Acceptable forms of payment – Certified check or money order made payable to: 1 Family Services
• Applicants unable to visit the Enrollment Office for testing – Contact Denise Funk at 918-708-2072 to schedule an appointment in your area.
DNA testing may also be used to increase a blood degree of a child who is entitled to a percentage of a father’s degree but only receives his/her degree from the mother. The Enrollment Ordinance allows testing between both parents and child or both grandparents and child for membership. Other family unit testing would be considered a “Special Test” and would need the approval of the Enrollment Committee depending on the purpose. The cost for a Special Test is $140 per person.
Submitting DNA Test results to the Enrollment Office will not legitimize a child. Please contact the Enrollment Office with questions.