by Mar 26, 2010NEWS ka-no-he-da0 comments

 Suspect Leads Park Rangers and Police in a 33 Mile Long High Speed Chase


Timothy Edward Wisby

Cherokee Indian Police engaged in a 33-mile long pursuit with Rangers from the Great Smokey Mountains National Park (GSMNP) that ended with the suspect crashing his vehicle n the parking lot of Cherokee motel. 

Pigeon Forge Police attempted to stop Timothy Edward Wisby, age 46, of 1009 Meadowview Drive in Gallatin, TN, under suspicion of theft. Wisby fled in his1988 Ford F-150 leading Pigeon Forge Police and Sevier County Sheriff’s Deputies into the Great Smoky Mountains National Park where they turned the chase over to Park Rangers.

Wisby's truck crashed into a sign and another vehicle at the Econo Lodge in Cherokee following a 33-mile chase. (Photos courtesy of CIPD)

Wisby avoided stop sticks near Park Headquarters in Tennessee which were deployed by Rangers. GSMNP Supervisory Park Ranger Joe Pond attempted to stop the suspect near Beech Flats at mile marker 21.  The suspected continued at high rates of speed often reaching 90 miles per hour towards Cherokee. Ranger Pond contacted Cherokee Central Dispatch at approximately 5:18pm for assistance with stopping traffic and the suspect’s vehicle.

Cherokee Police Department Officers set up and deployed stop sticks near Collins Creek Picnic Area, Smokemont Campground and the Oconaluftee Visitor Center.  The suspect lost his right front tire near the visitor center and a left rear tire after entering the Qualla Boundary. 

Another angle on the crash.

Driving on two tires, the suspect continued about one mile into Cherokee where he lost control of his vehicle near the intersection of US441 and Hwy19 crashing into a sign and a parked vehicle in the parking lot of the Econo Lodge in Cherokee at approximately 5:49pm.

Supervisory Park Ranger Joe Pond said, “The National Park Service appreciates the professional and capable assistance received from the Cherokee Indian Police Department.”

CIPD Officers and GSMNP Rangers survey the scene at the Econo Lodge.

Cherokee Chief of Police Ben Reed commented, “I do not understand why anyone would do what this man did; he put so many people in danger. The rangers and our officers did an outstanding job. Everyone involved were as professional as I have ever seen and for that I am extremely proud of the collaborative effort they demonstrated. From what I witnessed, it was truly the Grace of God that no one was injured.”

Wisby is a convicted felon who served one year in Ohio for breaking and entering. He is in custody and is charged with Felony Fleeing to elude arrest.  GSMNP will be consulting with the United States District Attorney on additional charges.   He was scheduled to  appear before a Federal Magistrate in Asheville, NC sometime on the morning of Friday, March 26.