By SHEENA BRINGS PLENTY, CPC
Preparation Time: 12 minutes
Cooking Time: 40-45 minutes
This moist cake is attractive, with a deep brown color balanced with the light color of the apple chunks. Make it with your favorite baking apples.
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup granulated sugar
3 Tbsp stick margarine, softened
2 Tbsp low-fat (1%) milk
2 large baking apples, cored and sliced (3 cups)
1 tsp granulated sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8×8 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer at medium speed, beat the sugar and margarine together until fluffy – about two minutes. Beat in the egg and milk until smooth – about one minute. Add the flour mixture to the margarine mixture in thirds, beating until smooth – about two minutes. With a large spoon, stir in the apples until evenly distributed. Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan.
4. In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon, then sprinkle evenly on the batter. Bake until browned and the sides start to pull away from the pan – about 40-45 minutes.
4 oz. cream cheese, softened (1/2 package)
2 Tbsp melted butter, cooled
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp maple flavoring
1. Beat all together until smooth and lump free.
2. After cake has cooled, drizzle with icing and serve.
Sheena is a Certified Pastry Culinarian and resides in the Yellowhill Community.