First Spring Gardening Fair planned for April
Principal Chief Patrick Lambert is hosting Cherokee’s first Annual Spring Garden Fair on Friday, April 8 and Saturday, April 9 at the Cherokee Indian Fair Grounds. The Garden Fair is the first event of its kind on the reservation and caters to those with a gardening interest. The goals are to equip, to educate and to excite tribal members about spring, gardening, and the new season. The event promises educational, service, and business vendors. You will be able to purchase a variety of items from seeds to yard art. Learn about composting, raised beds, beekeeping, living with elk, water safety, vermicomposting (worms) and much more.
- A photo contest, sponsored by The Little People Boutique. Send your photos of children in fruit, flower, or vegetable costumes to email@example.com. Prizes will be awarded for the little ones pictures.
- Not leaving out our furry friends, send your pictures of your pet in costume.
- A Coffee Thyme cafe, sponsored by the Costa Rica students. Here you can enjoy a cup of coffee or buy a bag to take home. All proceeds will supplement travel for the Costa Rica trip.
- You can enter a Recycle/Repurpose Yard Art Contest. Entry fee is $5 and all proceeds go to supplement travel for the Costa Rica trip. Prizes will be awarded.
- Have your children’s picture made with Smoky the Bear presented by BIA Forestry.
- Talk with a Master Gardener.
Event organizers are seeking vendors in the following areas: Seeds and Plants – annuals, perennials, vegetables, herbs, fruits, grasses, house plants; Tools – sharpening, cleaning; Garden Art – statuary, signs, metals, stakes; Garden Structures – furniture, green houses, raised beds, decks, trellis, storage; Green Elephant Sale – used books, pots, tools; Birding – food, houses, sanctuaries; Fairy Gardens; Garden Market – local grown food, canned food, dried food.
Sponsorships for events are available.
Info: Find the event on Facebook under Spring Garden Fair or email – firstname.lastname@example.org
– Spring Garden Fair Committee