41st Annual Indian Unity Conference Writing Contest
A writing contest is being held at the 41st annual Unity Writing Conference in the following categories:
- Rhyming Poetry (not to exceed 32 lines)
- Non-Rhyming Poetry (not to exceed 32 lines)
- Inspirational/Spiritual Writing (not to exceed 1,000 words)
- Genre Short Story (Romance/Mystery not to exceed 1,000 words)
- Mainstream/Current Issue Literacy Short Story Fiction or Non-Fiction (not to exceed 1,000 words)
- Memoirs, Life-Changing Events (not to exceed 1,000 words)
- Must be a member of a federally- or state-recognized American Indian tribe and currently residing in North Carolina or live in another state but belong to a North Carolina tribe.
- Only original, unpublished writings will be accepted.
- Entries are limited to three per writer.
- Name of writing, author’s name, number of words, age group and category must appear on top right hand corner. If this does not appear, works will be disqualified.
- Completed registration forms must accompany each writing entry.
- Entries must be typed, double-spaced, front page only on 8.5” x 11” paper with multiple pages stapled. Page numbers should appear on right hand bottom corner.
- Do not resubmit entries from previous years.
- Entries must be turned in to the Registration Desk or to one of the Writing Coordinators at the Conference on Thursday, March 10 from 10am – 2pm.
- Entries may be mailed to: A. Kay Oxendine, P.O. Box 215, Hollister, NC 27844 but must arrive no later than Monday, March 7. The submissions may also be emailed up until midnight on Wednesday, March 9 to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Winners will be announced during the General Assembly and Breakfast on Saturday, March 21.
- All submitted entries may be published in future Unity Conference program books or United Tribes publication.
Info: Kay Oxendine (804) 296-9820 or Arvis Boughman (828) 443-4395
– Indian Unity Conference