Operating Update – Jan. 1, 2012 – July 31, 2012
During the first half of this year the Tribal Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission (TABCC) had two major goals:
The first was to establish the Tribe’s rules and regulations for the purchase, possession, consumption, sale and delivery of alcoholic beverages on Tribal Lands. This goal also transferred permit issuing authority and responsibility from the sate of North Carolina to the Tribe.
The second goal was to begin distribution of spirits directly to the Tribal Casino Gaming Enterprise (TCGE) from the TABCC warehouse; ending purchases from the Sylva/Bryson City ABC store.
- Tribal Ordinance 768 documenting EBCI alcohol functions and regulations was published in the Federal Register making it federal law. This accomplishment allows the Tribe to self-regulate the purchase, possession, consumption, sale and delivery of alcoholic beverages on Tribal Lands.
- TABCC issued first-time permits to TCGE doing business as Ruth’s Chris Steak House and Brio Tuscan Grille. North Carolina permits were no longer required.
- TABCC appealed to the NC Department of Revenue requesting exemption from State Excise Tax and mark-ups on spirits. A favorable ruling was received which will result in increased revenues to the Tribe.
- At the request of Tribal Council, TABC Commissioners attended community meetings during March and April to answer questions related to the upcoming alcohol referendum.
- Repayment was completed for all funds provided by the Tribe during start up of TABCC.
- Profits from TABCC operations helped fund Alcohol Law Enforcement (ALE) for the Tribe.
- Donations were made to various charitable organizations including Christian Love Ministries and the Student Support Services at Cherokee High School.
- Total sales of spirits to TCGE from Jan. 1, 2012 – July 31, 2012 were $457,622.80.
If you have questions or comments please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Tribal Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission consists of: Collette Coggins, Chairman; Jody Bradley, Vice Chairman; Brian Saunooke, Commissioner; Pepper Taylor, Commissioner and Steve Coleman, Commissioner.